Sunday, December 26, 2010

AMETHYST TANGENT

Forgive me while a tangent about Amethyst for a bit! There seems to be a common thread in my life and I believe it deserves some illumination!


It all started this Christmas when I was asked to cage this beautiful chunk of amethyst as a surprise for my friend for his wife. It came off of a larger Geode and was a key element in his marriage proposal!

I think this was a super great gift idea, and I was so psyched to be able to do it for them!

Here is the beginning of the cage. For this one, I am using 3 lengths of hammered round wire.

Now the 13 base solder joints have been finished and its time to close it up!



Just after the first and second solder joint on the top of the pendant. I coat the stone in a mixture of denatured alcohol and boric acid to protect it from the intense heat of the torch.















Here's the finished product! =)







A stone of the mind, amethyst is said to bring calmness and clarity where there is confusion and anxiety. Amethyst crystals are said to bring serenity and calm, to enhance one's ability to assimilate new ideas, and to assist during meditation. This stone is also said to give strength and mental stability, and to provide balance between one's physical, emotional, intellectual states.







OTHER SWEET AMETHYST STUFF!


*
Laccaria amethystina is a small brightly colored mushroom commonly known as the Amethyst Deceiver. And yes, as a mushroom fanatic, I had to find out... It's EDIBLE!








*
South Lake Tahoe Jewelry Designer Mark Garbarini does some interesting things with Amethyst.
This amethyst pendant is illuminated by a small LED insert!


















*
Kick-ass Amethyst Cuff links by ElseeTee on Etsy

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece you made! I'm so glad I learned a but about Amythyst today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Set up a gmail acct. so I can finally comment! Love the article and J and S!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey selena,

    wow-sa on the amethyst mushroom. i just so happened to have posted something recently on indigo mushrooms:

    http://www.londabianca.com/2011/01/song-sung-blue-rainy-day-mushroom.html

    loooove your square double crystal pendant too. it's definitely on my agenda for the future!

    - jenny

    londabianca v.v.

    ReplyDelete